Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Web 2.0 awards - Yelp

I just want to begin by saying - whoa! The list (even the short list) demonstrates the wide range of Web 2.0 things out there to be accessed! Never enough time in the day to investigate everything! I dabbled in the Widgets category looking at Flock then in the Video section the 2nd place holder (after You Tube) Daily Motion where I viewed a couple of interesting videos but I still think You Tube will remain the front runner. For a few years I have read things about Craigs List (Classifieds & Directories section)so I had a fossick about. I didn't like the way it was setup - a bit too bland. Even though it had Australia & NZ listed I didn't have much luck locating many entries for various things I searched so I suspect it is fairly US oriented. The one I spent a little bit more time looking at was Yelp. The title just fascinated me. It was 1st in the City Guides & Directories section. It was good to see how anyone and everyone had contributed to describing their city or a place they had visited. It includes ratings on restaurants, clubs, parks, shopping :), education, hotels etc. I thought it would be useful if you were travelling to the states and want some unbiased idea about places and services. I thought Marion might find it useful before she visits New York! The drawback once again is the US orientation. Oh, I know there is probably similar NZ related services but it is an annoying factor of the Internet/Google/etc. It was good to see recently the launch of YouTube NZ. Could you see any applications for its use in a library setting? Not necessarily but if there was a similar NZ service then UCOL could make sure it was listed under educational and also the library could make sure it was listed under Libraries and Museums and the like!

No comments: